If you’re gluten-free, you can still enjoy Asian food. You just have to make it from scratch.
I used San-J Gluten-Free Tamari soy sauce in place of regular soy sauce. You can find it at Safeway, Whole Foods, Sprouts, or Vitacost. If you order it from Vitacost, you can use this $10 off coupon on your first order.
Gluten-Free Korean Short Ribs Recipe
1 1/2 cup of Gluten-Free Tamari Soy Sauce
3/4 cup of white sugar
1/4 cup of sesame oil
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 large green onions, cut into small pieces
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 tbsp black pepper
1/4 cup of mirin (cooking wine)
2 – 3 pounds of Korean short-ribs (Get it from a Korean grocery store if possible)
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Mix for 1 minute.
- Place the meat in a ziplock bag and pour marinade over it.
- Refrigerate overnight or 24 hours if you can. Flip the bag every few hours to make sure all the meat is evenly marinaded.
- Preheat broiler. Arrange meat on a roasting pan with vents or a metal rack on top so juices can drip into the pan below.
- Broil for 3-4 minutes each side. (4 minutes will be well done, depending on the thickness of the short ribs.)